Saturday, February 23, 2013

Windows 8

Right now I am going to do my own review on Microsoft's new Operating System Windows 8. The recently released OS is nice, sleek, and very very different to its predecessors. However the main problem witht his new OS is that it is mainly designed to be tablet or touchscreen driven. This new operating system is so different that I believe people will have to take classes on how to learn to use a computer all over again. After test driving the WIndows 8 I had major probles figuring out where the basic functionalities were such as My Computer, Control Panel etc. The new tile window is basically the new start menu. The start menu icon is now replaced by the Internet Explorer button. In my opinion the interface for Windows 8 is one the worst interfaces ever designed and not because of the way it looks but because it is too diferent from all other desktop operating system interfaces and it is not very user friendly. The Windows 8 interface would probably be ideal for a tablet or some other mobile device but not for desktops. Companies are going to have to invest a lot of time and money in order to get their employees up to par with this new operating system. When I was using Windows 8 I felt like someone who had never used a computer before. I was basically lost. If I were to rate Windows 8 I would give it 2 stars since it is developer  friendly with the javascript/HTML 5 apps and it is also very fast. Until Microsoft decides to redesign the interface, customers will not be too pleased.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you Christian. Windows 8 is the largest change that Microsoft has made to their Windows OS since Windows 95. In previous versions releases it didn’t take too much effort to work with the new MS OS. This version 8 in particular has change completely from its previous version to the point that it confuses even the most experience user. Because of the new modern user interface the desktop has been moved to the sidelines. Now this version allows the use of touch screen. I wonder if its worth the effort as it requires programs specially written to work with this capability.

    ReplyDelete